LET'S BUILD NET-ZERO HOUSES
BUILDING ENERGY EFFICIENT HOMES IS A HALF- MEASURE
LET'S BUILD HOUSES THAT MAKE THEIR OWN ENERGY
("NET- ZERO" HOUSES)
If rooftop solar systems produce power for our houses and electric cars, we can cut America's energy use in half. *
The technology exists now.
It will create millions of jobs
A real no-brainer.
HOW DO WE DO IT ?
1. Make all houses energy efficient.
- Stop wasting energy.
- Reduce the size of your solar system.
2. Put a solar electricity system on your roof.
- Electrify your house. Don't burn fossil fuel.
- Use a heat pump for heating and cooling.
- Heat water with a heat pump water heater or a solar collector.
- If we all do this, we eliminate residential energy use.
3. Plug your car into your house to charge its electric motor.
- Now we have reduced transportation sector energy use by 90% *
(10% is used by aviation)
You're powering your house and your car for free
You've cut U.S. energy use (and emissions) in half *
* Source: U.S. Energy Information Administration
"The amount of primary energy use, plus the energy content of electricity purchased from the electric power sector, by each end-use sector in 2018"
** Quadrillion Btu
TRANSPORTATION INDUSTRIAL RESIDENTIAL COMMERCIAL = TOTAL
28.3 quads ** 26.3 quads 11.9 quads 9.4 quads 75.9 quads
- 2.8 (aviation)
33.6% + 15.7% = 49.3% of total US energy use, for the
Transportation & Residential Sectors,
we can eliminate